According to archival research undertaken by staff of the Argus Leader, the fountain was installed/dedicated in 1907 and was originally located at the corner of Phillips Ave and Ninth St. The fountain primarily consists of carved and polished Sioux Quartzite elements stacked upon on one another in a central column with the large “horse” bowl at the center. The assembly is mounted to a square concrete plinth at the center of a low, circular concrete basin. This is not original to the fountain and was likely installed when it was moved to its current location at Philips Ave and Eighth St. There are three bronze lion relief spouts at the west, north and east sides of the fountain that stream into the basin directly below. It is uncertain how these reliefs are attached, though there is caulk/sealant around each connection between the bronze and quartzite. At the south face, there is a bronze dedication plaque that reads: 1907 Presented By The National Humane Alliance Hermon Lee Ensign Founder Below the upper quartzite basin on each side is a carved, rounded alcove. There is a remnant of ferrous metal piping emanating through a core in the stone at each alcove. On the quartzite immediately surrounding these pipes, there appears to be remnants of adhesive or mortar, as if there were also relief figures at these former spouts. Currently, the pipes appear to be capped.
The city records have no photo of this artwork